Monday, December 11, 2006

Successfull deployment of OpenOffice in the public sector.

I had the opportunity to participate at the MAMPU conference on Successfull deployment of OpenOffice in the public sector in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.



It was great.

The general arguments I tried to make in my talk where around the following matrix:



The argument I derived from that matrix where

  1. clearly a shift from an open source application with a proprietary file format to an open source application with an open standardized file format improves openess.
  2. however how can a shift from a proprietary application with a proprietary file format to a proprietary application with an “open” file format improved openess? And --- is it the same kind of “openess” as in case 1)?

I then made the argument that only an open source application with an open file format can prevent a “lock-in” situation. I illustrated the fact by a case study of supporting a “minority language”.

So --- how would you fill out the matrix?

3 comments:

Yoon Kit said...

Florian!

It was great to have a chance to speak to you at the Roundtable discussion in KL. The information you provided was excellent, and Ill use it to help convince others on the benefits of ODF.

Thanks very much, and do come down to KL again!

Yoon Kit.

Florian Reuter said...

Thanks! Also be ensured that your feedback is very much appreciated.
I really hope that I hope I get a chance to come to KL again. I really liked it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a simple, clear illustration of what I've argued to friends for the past couple of years. Thanks for sharing! (Sorry if this is a double post.)